Wednesday, December 9, 2009

First Visitors

So, we're moved in, we're unpacked. Let's enroll No. 1 in school. Off we go to what I thought was the nearest elementary school. Turns out, certain streets in our subdivision actually go do the new elementary school, which is closer to our house. Yes! We can walk to school every day! So I go into the office, present all required documents, and fill out paperwork. The very nice lady at the front office desk informs me that No. 1 needs a TB test. "We got those done before we left Texas. It's on her shot record." Here is yet another moving to Hawaii glitch that is not posted ANYWHERE on any web site about moving to Hawaii. It's not even on the Hawaii Health Department website: YOUR CHILD MUST HAVE BOTH THE DATE THE TB TEST WAS ADMINISTERED AND THE DATE IT WAS READ ON THEIR SHOT RECORD!!! The reading date and result are not enough. By the time we are informed of this little glitch, it is too late in the day on a Friday to call Texas and have them fax me the information. A lot of phone calls and a week later, my six-year-old is finally allowed to go to school.
We have friends coming to town for a birthday party. We have no sitter. We have no friends we can ask to baby sit. I can't even get an appointment to sign the kids up for daycare until the middle of November. Swell. So I call my mom. She volunteers to come out to Hawaii (I had to twist her arm really hard), and watch the kids during the birthday party. AWESOME!!
Mom and her hubby come out to visit. We spend our time driving around the island looking around. We go see the Pali lookout, which is a really neat way to see the Windward side of the island. Mom purchases a really neat basket made on the spot by a guy. Pretty cool. We drive up to the North Shore to check it out. Get to see some turtles in the surf. Very cool. We even visit the Dole plantation, which is the biggest tourist trap ever. Mom gets to witness the Japanese tourist effect, where they stop me to take pictures of the kids. We get to go to the birthday party without the kids. Our first kid-free day for two months!
We had a blast at the party. I got to walk on the beach with my friend Paige. She spent most of our walk complaining because there was no sea life in the tide pools. Just as she was saying something to the effect of 'this sucks' I turn around a see a monk seal laying no less than 30 feet from where we're standing. Many pictures ensue, and we try to encourage some local kids NOT to poke the seal with a stick. All in all, it was great.
We're settling in pretty well. Futon space is available at our house any time. Come on out!

1 comment:

  1. Moving so close to Christmas is not fun but I sure hope the location makes up for it. Are you on twitter?

    ReplyDelete