Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Movers Arrive

We finally got a house, and our household goods are arriving, like, NOW! The movers arrive at our new digs bright and early the next morning. A crew of just three guys shows up with two trucks. They inform me that another crew will be there with another truck of stuff later. Holy cow, I forgot we have this much stuff! So the craziness of unloading all our worldly possessions begins.
Now, our new house has parking in the street in front of the house, which is taken up by all the neighbor's cars. So the movers pull around to the back of the house, which means that all our stuff has to be brought into the garage or through the back gate, across the back yard, and then inside the house. I am so glad I don't work for a moving company. Eight hours later, all of our stuff is in the house. My dining room table has two HUGE gouges across the top, my king-size headboard is now missing a finial, and the baby's changing table/dresser is now missing all four legs. All the glassware is intact, and the packers even made sure that not a pencil was broken (they used two sheets of wrapping paper to wrap 5 pencils. Really.) I'm slightly miffed about the large furniture damage, but hey, we're in Hawaii.
We get all the beds set up, and we all get to spend a peaceful night in SEPARATE ROOMS!!! I can't hear it when No. 4 rolls over in her sleep. I can't hear it when No. 1 jumps on No. 2 and makes her squeal like a pig.
As I'm getting ready to drift off, there is a large BANG. Turns out we live about 2 miles as the crow flies from the Coast Guard air station. They use pyro to keep the birds off the landing field. Every night. After 9 p.m. Joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment